Now that Apple has announced new iPhone models, exchanging your current phone may be on your mind. However, you may be wondering what will happen to your eSIM once you get the latest iPhone model. In case you are worried about that, we want to tell you that with the new iOS 16 update you can transfer your eSIM card from one iPhone to another. If you don’t know how to do it, you are in the right place. Here we are going to show you how to change your iPhone and keep your eSIM card.
We will also let you in on some characteristics of the eSIM card that you may want to know if you are planning to get a new cellphone and new eSIM card. Let’s begin!
International eSIM with Unlimited data
What do I need to transfer my eSIM?
Before getting starting with the steps, it is important to know exactly what you need to be able to change your eSIM card with no issues. You have to consider the following aspects:
- You must have an iPhone XS, XS MAX, XR, or a more recent generation phone.
- Have a cellular operator compatible with eSIM cards, like Vodafone.
- The new iPhone, which is going to carry the eSIM card, must be connected to the internet. With the new iPhone 14, this is not necessary anymore.
Ways to transfer your eSIM card
Nowadays, there are three ways to make the transfer without any problems. There are other special ways, and we are going to mention them later on.
The first one is through the eSIM Carrier Activation. This method is specifically designed for those who are going to switch from an Android device to a new iPhone. If you previously had a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 with an eSIM card, and now you have an iPhone 14, the eSIM Carrier Activation method is perfect for you.
*Currently, it is not possible to transfer a Holafly eSIM from one cellphone to another.
Another way to do this is with the eSIM Quick Transfer. This method is intended for when you need to switch from a SIM or eSIM card on your old iPhone to an eSIM on your new iPhone. This method can also be useful if you want to go from having a SIM to an eSIM without changing your iPhone.
The last method is very simple, all you have to do is to scan the eSIM QR code with your new iPhone, or manually enter the eSIM card information into your new device. This last option takes more time than the others.
Transfer an eSIM card from operators
If you have an Android device, and you want to buy an Apple smartphone, keeping your eSIM card, this is the best method for you. The first thing you have to do is to contact your operator to transfer your telephone number to the new iPhone through the eSIM Carrier Activation process or by scanning the QR code. If your iPhone is not a brand-new purchase, if you have already configured it and called your operator, you will have to follow the next steps:
- Click on the notification that says, “Operator data plan ready to install”
- Go to “settings”, go to the operators “cellular data plan”
- Click Continue
- Make a call to check the connectivity of your iPhone. In case you cannot make the call, contact your operator
- If the data plan you asked your operator to transfer comes from an SIM card plan, remove the SIM card, and restart the iPhone. This way you will be able to enjoy your data plan digitally.
Transfer an eSIM card with Quick Transfer
With this method, you will be able to convert your traditional SIM card into an eSIM, or transfer the SIM or eSIM card data plan to your new iPhone device without having to contact with your operator.
The first option to transfer your old eSIM to your new iPhone is during the setup process that comes after you buy your smartphone. During this process, you will be asked if you want to transfer an eSIM data plan or SIM from another iPhone. All you have to do is accept and carry out the steps that will be requested.
If what you want is to transfer your eSIM from your old iPhone to your new iPhone, but you have already configured it, then you must carry out the following process:
- On the new iPhone you should go to “Settings”, then “Mobile Data”, and finally, “Add Data Plan”.
- After this, you will have to choose a data plan to transfer from another device. If you don’t see a list of numbers in which yours should be, you must click “Transfer” from “Another Device”. For this, both devices must be updated with iOS 16.
- Go to your old iPhone and see the instructions to confirm the transfer. For this, you will have to click “Transfer” and enter the verification code that will be displayed on the new iPhone.
- Wait for the data plan to activate on the new iPhone. Once this happens, the SIM or eSIM data plan on your previous iPhone will be deactivated.
- If you see the option “Finish setting up your data plan”, click there. Once you do so, you will be directed to your operator’s website, follow the requested steps and that’s it! Easy-peasy!
Transfer an eSIM card manually
These methods will let you transfer an eSIM card from an iPhone to another. These methods are especially useful if your operator does not allow you to use other methods like eSIM Carrier Activation or eSIM Quick Transfer. However, it is totally necessary that both iPhones, the old and the new one, have the iOS 16 system. These methods can be either the QR code or manually entering the eSIM information.
QR code method
If none of the previous methods were useful for you, you won’t fail with this one. Ir a no-brainer! To transfer the eSIM card with the QR code all you have to do is to follow the next steps:
- Once you get to the ‘mobile data configuration’, click on ‘use QR code’.
- Follow the steps shown on screen and that’s it.
If you had already configured your iPhone and any of the previous methods helped you, follow the next steps:
- Open your camera, and scan the QR code.
- Click on the notification that says ‘Mobile data plan detected’.
- Click on continue and add the data plan.
In case you are asked to enter a confirmation code, enter the number that your operator has given to you.
Manually enter the eSIM card information
If you cannot handle the QR code method, there is still one last option, and it is to enter the eSIM card information manually. To achieve this, you will have to configure your iPhone. Then, you will have to follow the next steps:
- Ask for the information about the eSIM card.
- Go to the settings of your iPhone.
- Click on ‘add data plan’.
- Manually enter the eSIM card information that you requested before.