If you’ve come this far, you are surely familiar with the concept of eSIM technology. And you’re probably doing your own research on the components of the architecture of this virtual or digital card. Today we will start by talking a little about the SM-DP+ Address, which is essential for the eSIM to work correctly.
When you turn on your device for the first time, it will automatically and wirelessly download the eSIM information, which will be associated with the cellular service with which you’re registered. But in case that something goes wrong, you must use the SM-DP+ Address to set it up.
With this in mind, below you’ll discover what the SM-DP+ Address is, how to set it up, and how you can use it to get your eSIM working.
>>Buy an International eSIM for travel<< Get 5% OFF. Code: MYESIMNOW5
Getting to know what the SM-DP+ Address is
In detail, the SM-DP+ Address (Subscription Manager Data Preparation) is the address that connects the consumer devices supporting eSIM to a cellular network according to the user’s choice.
So that you understand the concept a little better, the purpose of the SM-DP+ Address is to download the eSIM profile safely, without there being any risk of error or security breach.
When the service provider creates or enables the subscription, it immediately informs the SM-DP+ that said subscription is available so that it can proceed to create the eSIM profile.
How to know the SM-DP+ Address?
The Subscription Manager Data Preparation system (SM-DP+) is available to all operators that store eSIM profiles, as this system safely downloads the data into the eUICC.
After the request is sent and the previous eSIM setting is done, the SM-DP+ will receive a notification for the eSIM profile to be created.
How you can find the SM-DP+ Address
To explain, there are two ways to find your SM-DP+ Address:
- Scanning the QR code: You’ll need to scan the QR code of the eSIM activation voucher so that the device can get the profile information, which will be obtained using the SM+DP+ Address itself.
- Through email or by contacting your network operator: You can obtain the SM-DP+ Address by requesting it by email or through your operator’s customer service.
How to set up the SM-DP+ Address?
The SM-DP+ Address is set up by default in the eUICC, so to activate the eSIM you only have to scan the initial QR code. But if the QR code doesn’t work, you’ll have to set the address manually.
Setting up the SM-DP+ Address on iPhone
If the QR code doesn’t work, you’ll need to manually enter or activate the eSIM using the following steps:
- Look for the SM-DP+ Address and the activation code in the cellphone’s instructions. If you don’t get it, request the code from your operator.
- Go to Settings on your cellphone.
- Tap “Mobile data” or “Cellular Data” (it will depend on the iPhone model.)
- Tap “Add Cellular Plan.”
Choose the option: “Enter Details Manually” and enter the SM-DP+ Address along with the activation code.
- Install the eSIM and choose a label or cellular plan label.
- Set the generated line as the default line.
It’s important to note that the setup or installation procedure could change depending on the iPhone model. But, essentially, the method is the same for all versions.
Setting up the SM-DP+ Address on Android
In fact, the process for setting up on Android is very similar to that on iPhone. But remember, this process should be done only if the eSIM installation has failed automatically.
If you can’t activate your eSIM automatically or by using the QR code, you can enter the profile manually. To make the process easier, we recommend you follow our little tutorial:
- Look for the SM-DP+ Address and the activation code in the cellphone’s instructions. If you can’t find it, contact your operator so that they can send the information by email.
- Enter “Settings” on your device.
- Tap “Network & internet” or “Connections.”
- Tap on “SIM card manager.”
- Select “+” or “Add eSIM.”
- Press “Enter activation code”.
- The system will ask you: Don’t have a SIM card? Select “Enter manually.”
- Subsequently, the option to: “Enter code manually.” You’ll need to enter the activation code, press “next” and then add the SM-DP+ Address.
As we mentioned above, the activation process may change depending on the device.
Activating an eSIM is not rocket science, as it is practically automatic. Our final recommendation is that when you buy an eSIM, you install or set it up using the appropriate QR code.
Its activation or manual setup must be carried out only in cases of installation failures with the QR or with the traditional activation codes.
It’s the piece of hardware of the cellphone or smartphone that acts as a secure container to store the eSIM profile.
It’s a virtual profile that stores the user’s subscription information, including network and data settings. With such a profile, the user may be able to connect to a cellular network.
Not necessarily. The eSIM and its profile will be set up by default when turning on the cellphone or smartphone for the first time. So, it won’t be essential to carry out this setup.