The future of mobile technology is the eSIM, a virtual SIM card you can install on some Samsung Galaxy smartphones. In this guide, we’ll teach you how to configure the eSIM on the Samsung Galaxy Fold, Samsung Galaxy Z, and Samsung Galaxy S20.
You will need
– An eSIM data plan: Holafly travellers can purchase an eSIM for their favourite destinations from our store.
– A device that supports eSIM.
– An Internet connection via mobile data or WiFi for the set-up process.
Video explanation of how to set up an eSIM on Samsung Galaxy
How to add an eSIM as a primary line on your Samsung Galaxy
You can now set up an eSIM as your main SIM card to access the internet easily when you’re traveling.
Here are the steps you need to take to set up an eSIM on a Samsung Galaxy Fold, Z Flip, and S20, as your main SIM.
Tiempo necesario: 10 minutos.
Steps to set up an eSIM on a Samsung device.
- Go to Connections
Go to settings > Connections
- Login to SIM Card Manager
Now you will see the SIM cards already on your device.
- Select Add Mobile Plan
In this step, your Samsung will look for a plan that is already active with the operator.
- Press Add plan using QR code
You must have the QR code from the eSIM provider.
- Read the QR code
Focus it with your camera.
- Add it to your cell phone
Your phone will find it, agree to add it to the download.
- Activate it on your Samsung phone
Accept power up to activate.
Your new eSIM will be added to the SIM Card Manager.
Once you have used your eSIM and no longer need it, you can return to the SIM card manager and delete it.
Adding an eSIM on your Samsung Galaxy Watch
Before Samsung launched the Galaxy Fold, S20 and Z Flip smartphones, there were already Samsung watches that were compatible with eSIM. Let’s learn how you can activate an eSIM on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
Configuring eSIM on the Samsung Galaxy Watch
Follow these steps to set your Galaxy Watch:
- Install Galaxy Wearable on your mobile
- You must download it from the Samsung store or Play Store.
- Have both your Samsung Watch and your Samsung phone ready
When it is detected, click on “Connect”.
- You will be shown a code, it must be the same on both devices.
- Confirm the code to pair them by pressing “OK”.
- Pairing will start. After press “next” to accept the terms.
- Your phone will start searching for a mobile network in your Galaxy Watch.
- If you can’t find it, go to “Mobile Networks” in the Galaxy Wearable App.
- Select “Use code”.
- Now you can scan your eSIM QR, accept the conditions and click on “Download”.
- Wait until the connection is complete.
- From now on your Galaxy Watch has a separate connection.
Operators that support eSIM on the Samsung Galaxy
After the launch of eSIM, several manufacturers have started to develop devices that include this technology. However, it is the operator that determines how the virtual SIM works.
For example, AT&T supports the use of an eSIM on the Galaxy S20 in Mexico, but not in the USA.
In the following table, you will find a list of countries and operators that support activating an eSIM on the Samsung Galaxy.
|Countries||Galaxy Fold||Galaxy Z Flip||Galaxy S20|
|Spain||Movistar, Orange||Movistar, Orange, Vodafone||Movistar, Orange, Vodafone|
|German||–||1&1, O2, Telekom, Vodafone||1&1, O2, Telekom, Vodafone|
|France||Orange||Orange, SFR||Orange, SFR|
|Thailand||AIS||AIS, dtac, TrueMove H||AIS, dtac, TrueMove H|
|Brasil||–||Claro, TIM, Vivo||Claro, TIM, Vivo|
|Vietnam||–||MobiFone, Viettel, Vinaphone||MobiFone, Viettel, Vinaphone|
If you are buying a new phone, make sure that your mobile provider supports eSIM technology on the Samsung Galaxy
FAQs when configuring an eSIM on your Samsung Galaxy
No. The iPhone is supported by most carriers, this does not mean that your Galaxy S20 will work. You need to check with your carrier to make sure it is supported.
It is likely that after an upgrade you will be able to enable eSIM support in your operator, as the Samsung Galaxy S20 hardware has this technology built in.
No. To terminate your eSIM service you must contact your operator.