eSIMs have been gaining more and more popularity within the telecommunications market. However, there is a frequent question that many people ask themselves, and that is whether their phone is eSIM compatible or not. To use this type of technology, it is important to know two things: if your device is unlocked and if it supports eSIMs.
That is why in this article, we will explain how you can know if your phone is compatible with eSIMs depending on the model. So by the end of reading our article, you will know how to confirm if you can use the eSIM technology and, likewise, the best way to buy one.
International eSIM to travel abroad
We know that there are still many people who do not know much about eSIMs, so we will begin by explaining what it is. eSIM stands for “embedded” SIM card, so we can say that eSIMs are very similar to the common SIM cards we usually use. However, the most significant difference is that eSIMs are completely digital.
They can work because, as the word eSIM itself states, they are embedded in many smartphones. However, being a recent technology, they are mostly compatible with the latest generation of phones. So, these eSIMs are very easy to buy and activate online. You will not need to install a physical card in your phone; likewise, you will enjoy similar benefits as using a SIM card.
How to know if my phone supports eSIM
Let’s discuss how you can find out if your phone is compatible with eSIMs. And one of the most important things you should know is that each phone model will have its own way of finding out if they are compatible with eSIMs. That is why below we will tell you in detail the steps to follow to verify that your phone supports eSIMs, depending on the phone model you use.
If you currently have an iPhone, then depending on the model you have, and of course, if your phone is carrier unlocked, you may or may not be able to use an eSIM. However, here is a step-by-step guide on how to verify this:
First, we recommend verifying that your iPhone is carrier unlocked. You can do it in the following way:
- Go to Settings > General > About
- Scroll down to the “Carrier Lock” section.
- If it says, “No SIM restrictions,” it means that your iPhone is unlocked.
Now, to find out if your iPhone supports eSIMs, you must follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings
- Go to Mobile Data
- On this screen, you will see the active SIM cards on your phone.
- Tap on the “add mobile data plan” option.
If after this, you get the option to scan a QR code, then your iPhone does support eSIM or virtual data SIM card.
Finally, if you want to know more about how eSIM works on the new iPhone 14, then we recommend you to read the following article called How does eSIM work on iPhone 14?
On the other hand, if you have a Samsung device, then some of the Samsung models are eSIM compatible. However, it is also important that you verify that your model supports eSIM. You can do this by following the steps below:
- Go to Settings> Connections> SIM card manager> Add Mobile plan
- If the “Add Mobile plan” is available, it should mean that your device supports eSIMs.
- You can also tap “IMEI” in the search bar of your settings, and the option “IMEI information” (or similar) should show up. If the “IMEI (eSIM)” is available, it means that your device supports eSIM.
eSIM on Google Pixel
If your mobile phone is a Google Pixel and you want to check if it is compatible with eSIM technology, then you can follow these quick and easy steps:
- Go to Settings
- Then go to Networks and Internet
- You will see an option called Advanced
- Access this option, and you will see the option to Add Operator.
- Finally, after this, you will be asked for authorization to use your phone’s camera to scan the QR code.
If all of these steps are successful, your Google Pixel is eSIM capable.
Huawei is another phone brand many people use. Something important to mention is that not many Huawei models are eSIM compatible. So, before buying an eSIM for your Huawei device, it will be very important that you verify that it is compatible, as follows:
- Go to Settings
- Go to Mobile Networks
- Go to the SIM Management submenu.
- You will see the option to add SIM or eSIM.
- Then you will have to enter the activation code (provided by the local or international operator).
- After that, you will have to scan the QR code of the eSIM in question.
- After a few moments, the eSIM will be installed.
If you complete each step, you will see that your cell phone is compatible with eSIM.
eSIM on Xiaomi
In case you have a Xiaomi device, you should know that most of their models do not support eSIM technology. However, the only Xiaomi branded phone that supports such technology is the Xiaomi 12T Pro.
In the network settings of this cell phone, the option to add eSIM appears. According to what Xiaomi implied in the presentation of this high-end smartphone, the models after this one will only have the eSIM option, so the cellular would no longer have a slot for physical SIM cards.
eSIM on Motorola
On the other hand, if your phone is a Motorola, you can follow these steps to check your phone’s compatibility with eSIM technology:
- Go to Settings, Internet & Networks, Mobile Network.
- Then Advanced, and then Carrier.
- Tap on the Add Carrier option, then Next.
- The screen for scanning the QR code will appear.
If you get to this point, you can be sure of one thing: your Motorola phone is compatible with the use of an eSIM.
eSIM on Oppo
Finally, if you have an Oppo device, some of their latest generation phones are eSIM compatible. You can verify that your phone model is compatible by following the steps below:
- Dial *#06# and press call. In case your device is eSIM capable, you should be able to view your device’s eSIM unique identification number (EID).
- You can also go to Settings > About > Status info. If your device is eSIM compatible, the EID field will be visible in the displayed menu. If not, then your device is not eSIM compatible.
Can eSIM be used internationally?
eSIMs have been gaining a lot of fame internationally for their ease of purchase and use. However, in addition to using them locally for phone services, they are also an excellent option for those who travel and need a way to stay connected to the internet.
That is why there are now plenty of online stores that offer International eSIMs for travelers. Such is the case of the Holafly Online Store, dedicated to offering eSIMs for more than 100 countries worldwide.
With Holafly’s eSIM, you can enjoy many benefits for your trip, such as internet connection to the best internet networks in your country. In many destinations, you can enjoy unlimited data. You will have customer service 24 hours a day and many other benefits.