Your next destination is the capital of Hungary, and you need a secure and reliable internet connection? While there are currently numerous alternatives to having an internet connection in Europe, the best option you will have is the eSIM for Budapest, with which you will have many benefits during your trip.
Surely, you’re not very knowledgeable about eSIMs. This article will explain in more depth everything you need to know about eSIMs. Including where you can buy them, their costs and features, and much more.
Unlimited data eSIM for Budapest
Where can I buy an eSIM for Budapest?
The eSIM has been gaining more and more fame on the market, that’s why you can buy it in different ways, and we would like to recommend the following ones.
- First, you can buy an eSIM for Budapest through an international online store. This is the easiest option to buy this service, as it is very fast, and you can do everything online from the comfort of your home. An excellent example of these online stores is Holafly, which specializes in selling eSIMs for travelers.
- On the other hand, when you arrive in the city of Budapest, you can look for local operator stores. You can find them at the airport, and shopping malls, among others. While this is a good option, it is often more expensive.
Finally, if it turns out that your cell phone is incompatible with eSIM cards, don’t worry. You can also purchase a prepaid SIM card for your trip, allowing you to connect to the internet. However, we will tell you more about this later.
What is an eSIM?
Understanding what is an eSIM is very simple, as they are almost the same as a prepaid SIM card, with the big difference that eSIMs are digital. They work because many of the latest generation phones have a little device implanted on the cellphone’s hardware. It can host many telephone operator lines and uses a QR code to activate the data plan. You can get this product in the Holafly store.
Advantages of an eSIM for Budapest.
The eSIM for Holafly will give you some advantages that you will be able to enjoy, which are as follows:
- High-speed internet connection in Hungary.
- Different data plans with unlimited data.
- You can set up your eSIM in less than five minutes!
- No minimum clause exists, so the purchasing process is easy and fast. No strings attached!
- You can use both your physical card and your eSIM simultaneously.
- You’ll be able to keep in touch with friends and family over WhatsApp.
An eSIM card is an excellent option for those who live outside Europe as it is effortless and fast to acquire through the internet.
How do I activate my eSIM card for Budapest?
To buy an eSIM card for Budapest, you should first go to the official Holafly website, where you can search for the destination you will travel to. In this case, you will have to look for the eSIM card for Hungary, which will work in Budapest. When you find your destination, you can choose between the different plans and proceed with the payment.
Once you make the purchase, you will receive an email with all the necessary information along with the QR code to activate your eSIM card, and you will have to follow the next steps:
- You will need to scan the QR Code of the eSIM card on your cell phone. Please note that you can only scan the eSIM card on one phone.
- We recommend you rename the eSIM card to differentiate it from your regular SIM cad.
- Activate data roaming on the eSIM card only when you arrive in Budapest.
- That’s it! Now you can access the internet!
Remember that the moment you receive the QR code of the eSIM card, you can install it on your cell phone. But you will need to activate the internet once you arrive in Budapest.
How much does a Holafly eSIM card for Budapest cost?
Holafly currently has the following plans available on its eSIM card for Budapest in Hungary:
|Days of use||Data||Price (€ and USD)|
|5 days||Unlimited data||€19 / $19|
|10 days||Unlimited data||€34 / $34|
|15 days||Unlimited data||€47 / $47|
|20 days||Unlimited data||€57 / $54|
|30 days||Unlimited data||€69 / $64|
|60 days||Unlimited data||€87 / $84|
|90 days||Unlimited data||€99 / $99|
Holafly’s eSIMs will bring you great advantages, the main one being their unlimited data plans. That means no more top-ups or worrying about running out of data.
SIM card for Budapest.
The prepaid SIM card is another alternative that will allow you to stay connected to the internet during your trip. This is a good option if your cell phone is not eSIM compatible.
In addition, purchasing a Budapest SIM card from Holafly is perfect if you live in Switzerland, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, or Luxembourg because they will deliver your physical SIM card to your home or office for free before you travel to Budapest. The main features of this SIM card are as follows:
- They are very easy to use, and with them, you connect to the internet as soon as you land in Budapest.
- The SIM card for Europe is available for 48 destinations, including Hungary.
- With this device, you can share data with other devices.
- You keep your WhatsApp number without any problem.
- You’ll have 24-hour chat service and support.
- This SIM includes a phone number you can use to receive calls.
How much does the physical SIM card cost?
To have an internet connection with a Holafly SIM card, you will have to choose between one of the eSIM plans for Europe, which will allow you to have internet in Hungary. Among the options are:
|Days of use||Data||Price (€ and USD)|
|30 days||8 GB||€34 / $37|
|30 days||12 GB||€44 / $47|
Advantages of the virtual SIM card vs. the physical SIM card for Budapest
While both the eSIM card and the prepaid SIM card are excellent options to keep you connected to the Internet, it is clear that the eSIM card has a more significant advantage due to the following:
- Ease of purchase: Purchasing an eSIM card is much simpler than a SIM card, as you can complete the entire process online and only take a few minutes.
- Affordable prices: eSIM cards tend to be a much cheaper alternative to other SIM cards.
- Immediate delivery: When you buy an eSIM card, it will be delivered immediately to your email, and from that moment, you will be able to install it on your cell phone. So, you will not have to wait several days for it to arrive at your location.
- Unlimited data: As mentioned before, in the case of the eSIM for Holafly, you will have unlimited data during your entire trip.
- It does not pollute: the eSIM card, being digital, does not need any material for its creation, so it does not contribute to pollution.
Magyar Telekom eSIM card for Budapest.
Magyar Telekom is the largest cellular operator in Hungary. Although they offer eSIM cards in their stores, these are only for prepaid customers. However, you can purchase one of their prepaid SIM cards, which have the following features:
- They have the best coverage in Hungary.
- The prepaid SIM cards are called Domino Fix and come in different varieties at different prices.
- You can buy a Magyar Telekom SIM card in Magyar Telekom stores and from resellers, including grocery stores, post offices & gas stations. Magyar Telekom SIM cards are not sold at Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport (BUD).
- 4G/LTE connection is available.
- The SIM card activation can be by app, online, by calling 1777, or in person at any Telekom store.
Yettel eSIM card for Budapest.
Formerly known as Telenor, Yettel is the second-largest cellular operator in Hungary. You can also purchase a prepaid SIM card for travelers, as their eSIM cards are offered for prepaid customers only.
- It has pretty good coverage throughout the country.
- You can buy their prepaid SIM card in Telenor stores and from resellers, including grocery stores, post offices & gas stations. Telenor SIM cards are not sold at Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport (BUD).
- You can choose between the Telenor SIM card, called Hello Kártyás, and the data-only SIM card, Hypernet Praktikum.
- In-person registration is mandatory for travelers in Telenor stores.
Which is the best eSIM for Budapest?
We have already talked a lot about eSIM cards and even their alternative in case your cell phone is incompatible with them.
However, when we talk about which is the best eSIM card for Budapest, your best option is definitely the eSIM card for Hungary from Holafly, with which you can enjoy different benefits. Such as 24-hour customer service, and unlimited data, among others.
Frequent questions about the best eSIM for Budapest
The Hungary eSIM only allows you to use cellular data. It does not include a local phone number for outgoing voice calls or messages. You can still make calls using apps like WhatsApp.
Your eSIM can only be activated on one device. If you delete the eSIM from your device, you will not be able to reuse it. You cannot scan the QR code on two devices, but you can share data between devices by setting up a hotspot on your cell phone.
Currently, only the following devices are compatible with the Holafly eSIM:
Apple iPhone SE (2020), XR, XS, XS Max, 11, 11 Pro and Pro 11 Pro Max,12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, 12 Mini.
Samsung S20, Galaxy Z Flip, Note 20 Ultra, Fold LTE, Huawei P40, P40 Pro, Google Pixel 3, 3a, 4, 4a and Motorola Razr 2019.
Some iPad models are also compatible (iPad Pro 11 and 12.9 inches 3rd generation, iPad Air 3rd generation, iPad 7th generation, and iPad Mini 5th generation), and the Apple Watch Series 4.
Also, make sure your smartphone is unlocked.
With the Hungary eSIM, you can’t share data.
Recommendations to choose the best eSIM for Budapest.
We have reached the end of this article. Even so, we would like to leave you some recommendations to consider when purchasing your eSIM for Budapest:
- Purchase your eSIM card before you start your trip, so you can have an internet connection when you arrive in Budapest.
- If your cell phone is incompatible with eSIM cards, remember that you can also purchase a prepaid SIM card with Holafly.
- Do not keep the eSIM card data activated at all times.
- Make sure your phone has unlocked bands, so it can connect to the operators of this country.
We hope all the information provided will be of great help to you. Also, remember that if you want to know about eSIM cards for other destinations, you can find them on our blog. See you soon!