If you want to go to one of the most popular festivals worldwide and you wish to live new and beautiful experiences, you cannot miss Burning Man 2023; it is celebrated in Nevada’s desert in the United States from August 27 to September 4, 2023.
This event had its origins in the summer solstice of 1986, but in its beginnings, it was a beach party organized by a group of friends. It was there when a 2.4-meter-high wooden statue was lit for the first time as part of a ritual.
In 1990, the event was planned in a lake in the Nevada desert, which would be the inception of this festival. If you are keen to know more about this celebration, we invite you to continue reading so you can discover everything about Burning Man.
What is Burning Man?
Burning Man is a big event that brings together more than 50,000 people in the Nevada desert. This festival is a multicultural music event that is meant to carry out different artistic, relaxation, and entertainment activities for everyone to enjoy.
The main objective of this festival is to burn a giant wooden sculpture on the last day of the event, where you can watch fireworks and spectacular celebrations.
Travel abroad without worries!
Secure your internet connection with a data eSIM. In the ➤ Holafly Online Store, you can find unlimited prepaid data plans for more than 160 destinations.
What are the characteristics of this festival?
Some of its characteristics are that it promotes a model of society away from brands and commercial empires, and it also uses collective energy from its participants. In this event, it is not possible to find commercial establishments, so you will not be able to buy anything with money except ice or coffee.
Considering the previous information, to attend this festival, you must bring everything you need to survive for a week in the desert, keeping in mind that the closest thing is a gas station 40 km from Black Rock.
The spirit of the event is made up of 10 slogans:
- Full inclusion: Everyone is welcome.
- Gifting or Sharing: Participants are expected to exchange without expecting anything in return.
- De-commodification: The nullity of monetary transactions, except for those related to transportation and the purchase of ice or non-alcoholic beverages.
- Self-sufficiency: The ability to subsist in a desert.
- Freedom of expression: The ideal is that everyone can express themselves as they are and that there is freedom of thought.
- Communal cooperation: The attendees must collaborate to survive.
- Civic Responsibility: Consists of respecting local, federal, and state laws.
- Leave no trace: This slogan seeks to reduce the environmental footprint. That is, it is not allowed to leave garbage, and it must be collected in case it is found.
- Participation: It is important that everyone participates in the activities and not that they are exclusively dedicated to observing.
- Immediacy: Living in the present and the moment to overcome barriers and recognize ourselves.
Why is Burning Man celebrated?
This festival has the purpose of creating a much more satisfactory culture for a few days, where nobody has to worry about issues such as consumerism, capitalism, hierarchies, or the media, since we are all the same.
As a result, it is an experience dedicated to erasing worries or stress caused by money or the lack of personal freedoms. In this place, everyone brings their own food and personal items, but within the community, they must share or barter.
The even attempts to achieve a unique and incomparable feeling of freedom but always hand in hand with the collective to achieve joyful, rewarding, and peace-generating experiences.
How much do the tickets for Burning Man cost?
The tickets for this festival have a cost depending on the moment you bought them, but usually, the price starts at $500 per person. The vehicle passes or tickets cost $150.
To buy them, visit the official website of Burning Man.
How long does Burning Man last?
It usually lasts for seven days. This 2023, it will be from August 27 to September 4.
The parties, music, and activities are continuous during these days, but the end comes with the burning of the wooden man, which is usually 30 meters high.
Where does this festival take place?
The festival takes place in the United States, in the Nevada desert, in the area called Black Rock.
What to take to the Burning Man festival?
There are many things that you should bring to this festival so that you can make your experience unforgettable and manage to survive for seven days in the desert, although the promoters of the festival will attach a survival guide with the purchase of your ticket.
Pay attention to the list of what you should bring to the Burning Man festival:
- Your ticket, identification, and collection number.
- 1.5 gallons of water per person per day.
- Reusable water bottles.
- Water and food for each day of stay.
- First aid box.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Appropriate clothing for the heat.
- Anti-particle/dust mask.
- Goggles for protection against sandstorms.
- Antibacterial gel.
- Flashlight and batteries.
- Personal hygiene items.
Another thing you should not forget is to rest and sleep thoroughly:
- Tent or shelter, depending on the number of companions and ropes or mooring straps.
- 12″ tent stakes or rebar.
- Plastic bottles or tennis balls protect the rebar.
- Sleeping bag.
- Recycling bags and cleaning items to clean your tent.
- Scotch tape.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Stove in case you want to heat food or drinks.
- Portable shower with a drainage system.
- Camp brand. (Flags, badges, banners, and others).
- Reusable coffee cup.
- Portable toilet or toilet.
And below, you can find some additional accessories that you may need:
- Portable ashtray if you are a smoker.
- Prescription drugs if required.
- Umbrella or parasol.
- Bicycle and its repair kit.
- Costumes, musical instruments, decorations, etc.
- AM/FM radio.
And finally, don’t forget to bring your common sense with you, good humor, an open mind, and the best disposition to have a great time!
What about the outfit for Burning Man?
The outfit for Burning Man must be the product of your desire and inspiration since it must reflect your personality and your way of thinking. But, having in mind that it takes place in the desert, you can choose collared vests, hats, very original glasses, clothes baggy fit for heat, or faux fur jackets.
Also, you can add scarves, capes, gloves, bras, garments alluding to the animal kingdom for the theme of the year, costumes, and LED lights. And, if nudism is your thing, you can opt for glitter or body paint.
How to get to the Burning Man?
You have many options, but the most recommended is to take the Burner Express.
If you decide to drive, you can take Interstate 80 or Highway 447, but we suggest you pay close attention to the road since 447 tends to have many blind curves, slopes, and even soft sand.
Read the list below to see the most recommended routes:
- Route 1: From Reno, take I-80 east for 28 miles. Then, take the Wadsworth/Pyramid Lake exit #43 to Hwy 447, then turn left into Wadsworth. Turn left onto Hwy 447 and continue 75 miles to Gerlach.
- Route 2: From Reno merge onto I-80 and proceed east 4 miles. Take exit #18 toward Pyramid Way/Hwy 445. Turn left and travel north 31 miles. At Pyramid Lake, turn right onto Hwy 446, and head east 12 miles to Nixon. Turn left onto Hwy 447 to continue traveling north 59 miles to Gerlach.
- Route 3: From Winnemucca, take I-80 for 130 miles to Fernley. Merge at exit #46. Turn right onto Highway 427 and travel 5 miles to Wadsworth. Turn right on Hwy and continue 75 miles to Gerlach.
- Route 4: From US 395, travel 25 miles east on Hwy 299 to downtown Cedarville. From downtown, head south on County Rd 1/Hwy 447 for 84 miles toward Gerlach. Before entering Gerlach, turn left onto County Road 34 and travel 8 miles to the entrance of Black Rock City.
Frequent questions about the Burning Man
A musical genre called Playa Tech belongs to the branch of tech house but with tribal, oriental, yogi, and spiritual influences.
The festival has a different theme every year; its decoration, music, and outfits depend on that. This 2023 corresponds to “Animalia”, whose inspiration lies in the animal world, both real, mythological, and imaginary.
There are no official settings. The only thing determined is the burning of the Burning Man and the main Temple.
The following items are not allowed to enter the event: explosives, firearms, rifles or paintball guns, portable lasers, items that cause mop such as wood chips, feathers or confetti, anything that breaks in the wind, plants alive or dead, scooters, motorcycles, animals, unregistered vehicles and stowaways.