If you are planning to travel abroad, you have to find a way to keep in touch with your loved ones. That’s why it wouldn’t be too much to have a SIM card to travel abroad. Thanks to this, you will go anywhere without losing your connection!
Whether you’re thinking about visiting some part of Europe or wanting to go a little bit further and visit a country like Japan or China, there are ways to stay connected all the time.
Where to buy a SIM card to travel abroad?
Traveling outside your country and not knowing how to communicate can give you a headache. If you don’t know exactly what’s going to happen when you arrive, it is better to be prepared to enjoy your trip. Do you want to have a calm trip? There are ways to buy a SIM card before arriving at your destination.
If you prefer to take things slowly, there are also options. Maybe you want to go to some country in Latin America and want to get your SIM card when you arrive.
Any of those two options are valid. Buying it when you’re still in your country you can opt for companies that offer an international data SIM card service, or also an eSIM, which is a relatively new technology on the market.
Otherwise, if you want to get it when you are at your destination you can discover new places as you walk to the store. Also, you can always get one at the airport, because there are some cellphone shops in such places. Or you can opt to play tourist as you look for your SIM card. The final decision is yours.
But, before making a decision, you have to know a little bit more about our options.
Buying a SIM card before traveling abroad
- It will let you enjoy your trip better. Buying your SIM card before traveling is very useful. This will let you enjoy your trip without having to worry about staying connected with the world from the very first moment you arrive at your destination.
- You will have extra money. Having bought your SIM card before traveling will let you know how much money you will have during your stay. You can decide what you can or cannot spend, or if you want to treat yourself, you won’t have to worry about that.
- You can see if the SIM card works on your cellphone. Your phone may not be the latest flagship phone, and that’s okay. However, as new technology advances, your cellphone may stop being functional. This is something you can prevent when you buy the SIM card beforehand.
- You will be connected from the very first moment you arrive. This can be important for some people. To have a connection to the internet right when you land to take pictures and share them, to check social media, or even something very important at work.
Holafly online store
As we mentioned before, there are many options to get your SIM card before traveling. Holafly is one company that has this option. Best of all, you can receive it at your home, your office or anywhere you are.
You won’t have to pay for the shipping, something that saves you money. And, on the other hand, you will buy your SIM card and know its benefits in advance.
The benefits of having an Holafly SIM card:
- In some destinations you have a number for unlimited calls and messages.
- Wide coverage within the destination.
- Stable internet speed at all times.
- Accessible price, with no penalties involved.
- Free shipping.
The only thing that may not be to everyone’s liking is that, for some destinations, the card includes only data and no calls. Anyway, there are options for the most demanding customers.
Buying when you land
- Once you are at your destination you can compare the different options you have.
- You can visit new places as you look for a store to get your SIM card.
- In case there is any inconvenience you can make face-to-face claims.
- You will try the SIM card before buying it, to see if your cellphone is compatible or not.
- Usually, buying in physical stores, you can opt for different promotions.
Stores to buy SIM cards abroad
Finding a SIM card store abroad won’t be a problem. Out of your country, there are a lot of options, but the quality of service is not the same.
We have to remember that in Latin American destinations 5G connections are still not available, so during your stay you can only opt for 3G or 4G SIMs. The good thing is that, just as it is in your country, there are well-known companies that people can recommend.
The best thing you can do before getting to your destination is to read a little about the telecommunication market. Is it easy to buy a SIM card? Are there any requirements I must meet? What is the best operator to use?
This is something you must know before arriving. Without a doubt, it can be very useful to have all this information, because instead of going around you can go straight to buy the SIM card that best suits your needs.
How much does a SIM card cost?
For us, one of the best options to travel abroad and keep our connection is Holafly. The company focuses on giving solutions for travelers and has proved to offer quality services.
The prices vary depending on the destination, this is used to catch people’s attention. Let’s see a little bit more about the variety of prices we can find.
Holafly SIM card prices for traveling abroad.
|Days of use||Mobile data||Price (€)|
|30 days (Europe)||10GB or 12GB consumption||€40 – €44|
|30 days (North America)||Unlimited data||€97|
|30 days (Latin America)||10GB consumption||€39|
|12 days (Asia)||6GB on 4G and unlimited 2G||€32|
eSIM card to travel abroad, the new alternative.
One of the newest and best alternatives in the current market is the eSIM. These cards are easy to buy, and also easy to set up.
The eSIM is a SIM card, but it is absolutely digital. You can buy it through the web page, in this case, the Holafly page, and you will receive it in your email in just a few minutes. And it will be ready to be used!
Requirements to buy an eSIM
- You can buy it only by having a valid physical address to purchase in the store.
- You must have an account in Google Pay, Pay Pal, or an active credit card to be able to make the payment.
- It is not necessary to send personal information when purchasing the card.
- You must choose the destination and the plan before making the purchase, for it to be done successfully.
eSIM to travel abroad
Advantages and disadvantages of the eSIM card to travel abroad.
- The price will never be the same, you can choose the cheapest option.
- The internet speed usually is 4G, and in some cases, it offers an unlimited 2G.
- You can get it no matter where you are in just a few minutes.
- The eSIM mobile data can be shared with other users.
- Information stored within the SIM card won’t be lost.
Also, you have to take into account that:
- The eSIM service comes with limited data, and it cannot be expanded.
- The number of cellphones that are currently compatible with the eSIM card is limited.
How much does an eSIM card cost?
The prices and amount of data are different from a SIM card, please see the table below:
|Days of use||Mobile data||Price (€)|
|1 month (Latin America)||10GB consumption||€39|
|8 – 15 and 30 days (Europe)||3 – 5 and 5GB consumption||€36 – €47 – €49|
|30 days (North America)||3 and 5GB consumption||€47 – €64|
|12 days (Asia)||4GB consumption||€39|
Frequent questions about the eSIM to travel abroad
Yes. With Holafly you can buy eSIMs for different destinations, for different prices.
Yes. No matter where you are, you can buy an eSIM for your next trip.
Not necessarily. You can simply keep your old phone number.
At the moment, it is not possible. You can only get a Holafly SIM card before leaving the country.
SIM card for other destinations
Don’t forget to visit our other articles about SIM cards to travel to: