“Discover the best option to get an internet connection and travel around the world” Have you wondered how to have the internet to travel, and what the best alternative is? If your answer is yes, this guide will help you identify the alternatives in today’s marketplace and how to use them to your advantage. This way, you’ll get the most out of your trips and avoid expensive fees for activating roaming services.
Buy an International eSIM with a 5% OFF. Code: BNOMAD
Secure and reliable internet to travel
Certainly, cellular internet access has become an essential requirement for many travelers. For example, if you’re a digital nomad, you’ll need to secure your cellular internet connection to work remotely while on the go. You can also be on a business trip and for this, you’ll need the internet to send and answer messages from another country; Or simply, you’re enjoying your vacation and you want to share the best experiences on social media.
As you can see, there are different reasons why you’ll need an internet connection on your next trip. So, to choose the best option keep these recommendations in mind:
Alternatives to having internet anywhere in the world
The list of options to stay connected during your trip vary greatly. So, you can choose an international eSIM card, the classic SIM card, a portable WiFi device, and even access public WiFi services at airports and places of interest. Here is a brief description of the main features and benefits:
Alternative 1: Internet to travel with eSIM
Features of the eSIM card for traveling
Before we tell you about the benefits that eSIM offers for your trips, you should know that it’s the latest evolution of the micro and nano SIM that you currently use on your cellphone. It’s a standard microchip that is already embedded into some smartphones and is compatible with telephone and internet operators around the world.
With this technology, you’ll no longer have to insert a new SIM in your smartphone to connect to the internet on your trips. There’s no doubt that this represents one of its greatest benefits. You can buy your eSIM at any time, through the Holafly virtual store, receive it in your email through a QR code and activate it to start browsing instantly.
How does the Holafly eSIM card work?
The Holafly eSIM works just like the SIM you have inserted in your cellphone. It contains your personal information, and usual telephone number and also allows you to connect your cellular device to the telephone network of the companies that provide these services in more than 130 destinations.
Thus, you can easily manage the cellular data services that you purchased with Holafly to enjoy an internet connection anywhere in the world. You won’t have to get involved in the processes that operators in each country usually follow to sign up to a prepaid plan, according to the terms and conditions established for the provision of these services.
Advantages of the Holafly eSIM card
- The eSIM is user-friendly
- Allows you to switch the operator and data plan with one click
- You can share your cellular data with family and friends
- You keep your WhatsApp number to receive calls and messages by VoIP
- You can recover your information in case you lose or damage your cellphone
- Buy online and activate your internet plan in minutes!
- You stop using plastic SIM cards
- Customer service 24/7, 365 days a year
- You don’t need international roaming services
How to activate Holafly eSIM?
The eSIM activation process is very simple, but first, you will have to verify the compatibility of your cellular device with this technology. To clear up doubts, we share the list of eSIM-compatible phones as of January 2023. Once you’ve completed this verification and everything is in order, you can buy your eSIM card. Make sure to choose the destination you plan to visit and the plan data according to your travel itinerary.
Three things you should know about the Holafly eSIM card
- The Holafly eSIM only includes data, although you can keep your number. You can only make calls and chat via VoIP, through apps such as WhatsApp or Messenger.
- Keep in mind the recommendations for compatibility of your cellphone with eSIM technology to ensure that you can enjoy this service at any destination, whenever you need it.
- Remember to activate your data plan once you land at your destination, with the QR code that contains the eSIM for your destination. You’ll receive this information by email with the instructions for activation (don’t forget to print it to avoid setbacks).
Alternative 2: Internet to travel with a SIM card
Buying a prepaid SIM card when you arrive at your destination is another alternative to having internet on your trip. With this little plastic chip, you can get packages for text messages and local calls. In addition, you can get cellular internet plans, according to the offer available by each local telephone operator, in terms of coverage options and prices.
Benefits of buying a traditional SIM card
- You can get SIM cards at airports and authorized stores
- You can sign up to a voice and text messaging plan for local use
- You can get a prepaid data plan with a new phone number
What you should know about SIM card
A language barrier common when it comes to communicating to ask the services from a local operator at your destination. Moreover, not all rates are available for foreigners, so you must check the currency conversion to pay for your plan with the SIM card, according to the prices established with the local currency. And finally, if you plan to visit several destinations, you’ll have to carry out this same process in each country.
According to the most recent Skyscanner travel trends report for 2023, “Affordable travel will be the top priority for travelers” and in this sense, finding options to get a cellular internet service at a reasonable price and without so many hassles will be an important aspect to consider.
Source: Skyscanner, travel trends 2023
Alternative 3: Internet to travel with portable WiFi
These devices known as potable WiFi, portable router, or portable modem, have become the solution for many travelers who need to connect various devices to the internet and work remotely. Like SIM cards, their technological development has given rise to increasingly sophisticated solutions that offer stability in the internet connection and ease of use.
Benefits of portable WiFi
- Connects to cellular networks
- You can browse from different devices
- It has a rechargeable battery
- Comes with a cable to connect to the computer
What you should know about portable WiFi to travel
- You’ll need a cellular data SIM
- You’ll use the data of the plan you purchased for your trip
- You must make a good investment to have a good quality router
- You can rent them with your trusted operator, but in case of loss, you’ll have to pay an additional penalty
Alternative 4: Connecting to open WiFi networks
There’s no doubt that the use of public WiFi networks is one of the most affordable alternatives for travelers. However, it’s one of the alternatives that can cause you some problems. Because you put the data stored on the connected cellular devices at risk; and in turn, you expose yourself to personal information theft, such as passwords, account numbers and other sensitive information.
This is what you need to know to connect to open WiFi networks
- Don’t use WiFi networks in which you are asked to provide data or passwords
- Turn off automatic synchronizations for apps such as your email, calendar, etc.
- Visit secure web pages and don’t log into any page or app
- Don’t carry out banking operations, or any other activity that puts your information at risk
- Make sure to check that the network access data is not saved on your devices
- Use these networks only if necessary
Alternative 5: Internet to travel with roaming services
If you go through the settings or configuration icon of your cellphone and choose the option Networks and Internet and finally Mobile/Cellular network, you’ll find the option to connect to the internet through roaming services. In other words, this is a service that will allow you to enjoy an internet connection with your trusted operator in areas where your data plan doesn’t have coverage, such as when you travel to international destinations.
Roaming benefits to having internet on your trips
- You use the same number from your home country
- You have all the cellphone services of your current plan
- Includes voice calls, text messages, and browsing data
- You have good internet speed and coverage
- In member countries of the European Union you have free roaming
What you should know about international roaming
- The cost of each call is very high
- They will also charge you for incoming calls
- You may receive surprise invoices for data use and text messaging
What is the best alternative to travel with the internet?
In short, the best option to have the internet on your next trip is with the Holafly eSIM card. You can buy it at any time, even before you travel, and activate it the moment you arrive at your destination.
- You travel with internet without roaming charges
- You keep your WhatsApp number to receive calls by VoIP
- You buy and configure your eSIM in a few minutes
- You get unlimited data plans at some destinations
- You always stay connected
- You have different options and payment methods available
- You choose the days and data you need in your eSIM
Holafly plans and rates to have the internet to travel
Holafly prices vary depending on the destination and the duration of your trip. For example, if you travel to the United States, you can choose a data eSIM for 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 60, and 90 days from $19.00 USD to $99.00. You can even choose the same days at some destinations and enjoy unlimited data, such as Turkey, France, and Spain, among others.
Secondly, you have guaranteed secure payment options and the most popular payment methods worldwide, such as Visa and Mastercard credit cards, or debit cards through platforms such as PayPal, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
Third, if you have any questions when choosing the data plan for your eSIM, you have customer service channels via chat or email 24 hours a day, 365 days a year!
As we have already mentioned before, the activation of the eSIM is very simple. After your purchase, we will send a QR code to your registered email. This way you can connect in record time.
FAQs about the internet to travel
The 4G / LTE cellular network is one of the most widely covered options currently, although some operators are already migrating to the fifth generation of cellular networks (5G).
It’s normal for travelers to ask themselves these types of questions, especially when they spend a lot of time browsing the internet. The amount of data consumed depends on if you’re watching videos, listening to music or on social media.
It all depends on the destination you’re going to visit and the cellular technology available. Currently, hundreds of operators worldwide offer high-speed coverage with the 4G cellular network, which is directly related to the faster browsing speed you can enjoy on your cellular device.
Holafly eSIM card users get 4G/LTE coverage in most destinations. It should be noted that in the desert or very remote areas, the connection may be unstable.
To activate and set up the eSIM on your smartphone, you must have a cellular device compatible with this technology. Check the list of eSIM-compatible phones as of December 2022 from brands such as Apple, Google, Huawei, Samsung, Motorola, Sony, Oppo, Honor, and Xiaomi, among others, which will be updated soon.