South Africa is a country that is on many people’s bucket list to visit at some point, as you can find many natural wonders such as stunning coastlines, beautiful semideserts, lakes, waterfalls, spectacular canyons, forests, and more. So if your next trip is to this remarkable country, you should take with you a virtual SIM card for South Africa.
That’s why through this article we will be telling you all about this alternative that will allow you to stay connected during your trip. We will talk about how to buy them, their features and even the prices. Likewise, we will also tell you about an innovative alternative that many people are attracted to, such as the eSIM.
eSIM for South Africa
Where can I buy a SIM card for South Africa?
Today there are several ways that allow people to purchase prepaid SIM cards for their travels. Some are more feasible than others; however, they are alternatives that will still allow you to stay connected to the internet while you are in South Africa.
As a first option, we can talk about physical stores of local operators in South Africa. This is one of the most common options among travelers, however, keep in mind that you will have to wait to buy your SIM card after you arrive in the country, to be able to connect to the internet.
On the other hand, a newer option is buying through online stores. Currently, it is becoming one of the ways to buy cellular services among travelers because the purchase process is simple and fast to carryout, and you can receive deliveries quickly. An excellent example of this is the online store Holafly.
Finally, if you have a new generation phone, you can also purchase an eSIM card, which is effortless to buy and activate.
You may be interested to know about the best SIM card for Uganda
Holafly eSIM for South Africa: a great alternative
We have just mentioned one of the newest alternatives to stay connected to the internet while traveling, which is the eSIM. It’s a perfect option for those who need fast and inexpensive phone service.
If you’ve never heard of eSIMs before, no worries because this is an easy concept to grasp. These are devices embedded in many of the latest generations of cellphones, and they allow you to activate them through QR codes, making it easy to activate them online. If you are curious about knowing more, here are the main features of Holafly’s eSIM for South Africa:
- The eSIMs are straightforward to purchase, and you will receive them immediately.
- To activate it, you will have to do it through a QR code in a matter of seconds.
- You will have a 4G connection.
- You will not need to change your phone number, so you can continue using your WhatsApp with your usual phone number.
- If you purchase the Holafly eSIM for South Africa, you can count on 24 hour technical support.
- You will be able to share cellular data with other devices.
- You can recharge your service through top-ups for more data or days.
- The eSIM services are cheaper than the roaming services of many operators.
Finally, something you should consider before acquiring an eSIM, is that they are only for cellular data use. So if you need to make phone calls or send text messages, a SIM card might be your best option.
You may be interested in the best SIM card for Pakistan
How much does a Holafly eSIM card for South Africa cost?
Holafly has only one eSIM variant for South Africa, which has the following features:
|Days of use||Data||Price (€ and USD)|
|15 days||6 GB||€47 / $44|
Vodacom SIM card for South Africa
Vodacom is the largest operator in South Africa and has the best coverage and fastest speeds in the country. When you arrive at your destination, you will be able to find operator physical stores, where you can purchase SIM cards, and you will be able to enjoy the following things:
- You’ll be able to choose between different prepaid plans, so you can get the one that suits you best.
- They have a durability of 24 months or more.
- You will have to show your passport to buy a SIM card.
- Their SIM cards are available in the airport, Vodacom stores, and other retailers.
- You can buy top-ups for your SIM card.
You may be interested to know about the best SIM card for Nepal
MTN SIM card for South Africa
On the other hand, an operator that manages more economical prices than the previous one is MTN. Their SIM cards can also be purchased upon arrival in South Africa, and you can enjoy the following features of their services.
- You can top up your SIM through their website.
- They offer you night-call options at an affordable price.
- They have plans with unlimited data for social networks.
- Toppable plans.
- Technical support is in the local language, so it could be a little difficult if you have any inconvenience.
Which is the best SIM card for South Africa?
Currently, there are many options to purchase a SIM card for your trip. Among the options that we have told you about, there are the online stores and the physical stores of local operators such as Vodacom and MTN. However, after talking about each option, we can say that the best of all is the Holafly virtual SIM card for South Africa.
Its services are quite complete, and you will be able to enjoy benefits such as being connected to the Vodacom and MTN networks, the best operators in South Africa. You will also enjoy 24-hour technical service, and free delivery, and you can even share data with other devices.
Frequent questions about the best SIM card for South Africa
In most cases, you just need to activate the “Data Roaming” option on your cell phone when you insert the card. You will receive an autoconfiguration SMS message. In case it is not autoconfigured, each card comes with instructions on how to create the APN.
It is good, although you should consider that many rural areas have low coverage. However, if you are in major cities the signal will have good speed and connection.
South Africa data eSIM cards use Vodacom and MTN networks in the country.
Yes, with South Africa data SIM cards you can share data from your cellular to other devices via WiFi. Leaving far behind the high cost of renting a pocket wifi
Recommendations to choose the best SIM card for South Africa
Here are some recommendations so that you can experience your trip to South Africa in the best way:
- Check that your cellphone has unlocked bands for the SIM card to work.
- It is convenient that before starting your trip you download videos, games, or movies, so you will not have to do it in the middle of the trip.
- Before starting your trip, remember to check the entrance requirements of South Africa, so you don’t have any issues when going there.
- If you will not be using your phone, it is recommended that you keep your cellular data turned off, so your phone battery will last longer.
With this, we have finished the article, and we hope that the information provided will be of much help to you. Remember that Holafly is an excellent company that will help you enjoy an extraordinary journey with the best eSIM card services.