Nepal is the ideal country for those who want to have an adventurous city and meet towns frozen in time. If you are planning to travel to this destination, it is vital you get a SIM card to get the internet in Nepal, so you can be connected all the time.
The best option to remain connected is by getting a prepaid SIM card. We will help you find the SIM card that best suits your needs. In this article, you will find all the advantages, disadvantages, purchasing process, prices, and all the information you need, to pick the best SIM card.
The best part is that with the Holafly eSIM card or virtual SIM card, you will have a stable and reliable internet connection with 3G/LTE speed so that you can remain connected all throughout your adventure. The eSIM card is a trend in consumer tech that will greatly help you, but you must ensure that your cellphone can support this technology first.
eSIM for Nepal
Why should I buy a SIM card for Nepal?
Because paying for international roaming in this Asian continent is very expensive. Cellular operators usually charge you $10 to $15 for each MB consumed, which is a very high price. A bill could end up being in the hundreds.
The best option is to get a SIM card with a data plan, so you don’t have a surprise by the end of your trip.
Which SIM card offers the best data plan for the best price?
To pick the best SIM card with cellular data for Nepal, you have to keep in mind the amount of data, the number of days, the speed of connection, and the type of coverage.
It is very important too to get a customer support service in your language, and a SIM card that lets you share your cellular data.
You may be interested to know about the best SIM card for Ghana
Where to buy the best SIM card for Nepal?
There are many ways to buy a SIM card, but it’s a lot better to get it before traveling, from the comfort of your home.
Our recommendation is to buy your SIM card through online stores like Holafly because their products and service have excellent connection and coverage, and you will be able to connect to the internet right when you land.
Holafly eSIM card for Nepal
The virtual SIM card for Nepal of Holafly offers 6 GB for 15 days. Its nationwide coverage is stable and reliable and works with Nepal Telecom 3G/LTE networks.
|15||6 GB||$44||$2.93 / day|
Advantages of the Holafly eSIM card
- Easy purchasing, installation, and usage.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Free and instant shipping.
- 24-hour customer service and support in your language.
- You can share your cellular data with other devices.
- You can manage your cellular data with the Holafly app.
- You can recharge through top-ups when you need more days or data.
Disadvantages of the Holafly eSIM card
- It does not include a number for local calls, but you can use apps like WhatsApp.
How much mobile data do I need?
It will depend on the amount of cellular data you are planning to use. Tourists usually use 2 GB per week during their stays, using low-consumption apps such as Google Maps, GPS, and Google Translate, and Apps to send text messages.
Remember that the apps that play videos or streaming music use a lot of cellular data. If you want to use these apps, we recommend you do so while connected to a WiFi network.
Buy your SIM card in Nepal
If you couldn’t get your SIM card from home, don’t worry because you can do it once you arrive at your destination.
This option is not very recommended because you won’t have an internet connection until you find a store. To help you with this, we have laid out a summary of the cellular in Nepal that offer this product.
Ncell is one of the main operators in the country. It offers a SIM card for travelers with different data plans that go from 3 GB per day to 14 GB for 14 days.
Advantages of Ncell
- It includes a local number to make calls.
- It offers great coverage in the main cities.
Disadvantages of Ncell
- You won’t get a connection until you find a selling point, purchase and install the SIM.
- You need to have your passport to make the purchase.
This operator offers different data plans that go from 500 MB to 5 GB per day.
Advantages of Smartcell
- Local number to make calls.
Disadvantages of Smartcell
- You will not get internet until you reach a point of sale.
- Technical support is in English or the local language.
- Card payments and top-ups must be in Rupees.
- You must be careful since they have packages with cellular data to be used only at night.
It is one of the most popular carriers in the country thanks to their low prices! Data plans have a valid period of time from 30 days to 365 days.
Advantages of Nepal Telecom
- It includes a local number to make and receive calls.
Disadvantages of Nepal Telecom
- You won’t get a connection until you get to a retail store.
- You must have the local currency, rupees, to complete your purchase. (They do not accept euros or dollars).
- The charge for video calls is Rs. 200 per minute. ($2.31)
- The prices shown do not include taxes.
How much does it cost for a SIM card for Nepal?
Now that you know more about the characteristics, features and benefits of each option, we are going to show you a comparison chart, so you can pick the SIM card that best suits your needs and budget.
|Virtual SIM card||Data price||Shipping price||Cellular data||Total price|
|Nepal Telecom||$1.50||$2||No shipping||1GB||$3.50|
Holafly is one of the best options. They offer the best SIM card for Nepal for a reasonable price and a great service.
Remember that taxes are not included in the price of the SIM cards of local operators, so they might cost more than you expected.
You may be interested to know about the best SIM card for Faroe Islands
Best SIM card for Nepal: which one should I buy?
We recommend you get the Holafly eSIM card for Nepal, with 6 GB of cellular data for 15 days and additional benefits like:
- Technical support in your language 24/7.
- Easy to buy, set up, and activate.
- You can keep your WhatsApp number.
- Free and instant delivery.
- Share your cellular data with other devices.
- Connect to the internet as soon as you land.
- Manage your cellular data from the Holafly official app.
Frequent questions about the internet and the SIM cards for Nepal
There are many options. You can buy a digital SIM card from Holafly before traveling, use the international roaming service from your domestic operator or use the Free WiFi networks you can find in restaurants, stores, and hotels.
It depends on the operator you choose. But it usually starts at $10 for each consumed MB.
To pick the SIM card for your trip, think about the amount of data and number of days. It is even better to get a service in your language, so you don’t run into any problems.
You can buy SIM cards with cellular data from providers like Holafly. You can do so before traveling and connect to the internet right when you land! Easy-peasy.
The price depends on the advantages, data plans, the number of days that the SIM card is valid for, and more. The Holafly eSIM card for Nepal costs $47 and it offers 6 GB for 15 days.