Since its launch, the use of eSIM has been widening worldwide. However, due to its novelty, most compatible cell phones are high-end and pricey. But did you know there are also some cheap cell phones with eSIM?
Here we will show you cheap cell phones compatible with eSIM at a much more reasonable price than the well-known iPhone 14, the Samsung Galaxy S23, or the Huawei P40 Pro. We tell you which ones.
Before showing you the cheap phones that have eSIM, we will explain to you briefly what an eSIM really is.
Also called virtual SIM, eSIM card, digital SIM, or simply eSIM, it’s the evolution of the traditional SIM cards that we have inserted in the cell phone and allows us to connect to the internet, make and receive calls and messages.
To activate an eSIM on a smartphone, it’s necessary to request it with a provider or operator, and they send it to your email through a QR code, which must be scanned with the cell phone. For more information, you can visit the post on how to activate the eSIM on an iPhone.
After clearing up some doubts about the virtual SIM, now we’re going to show you those cheap cell phones that are compatible with eSIM.
The Google Pixel 6a is a cheap mid-range phone
It’s one of the cheap cell phones from Google that includes eSIM. It’s considered a mid-range smartphone because it reduces some features that the high-end Google Pixel 6 or 7 has.
You can buy this phone on Amazon for around $260. This is much less than half the price of other phones with eSIM, like the iPhone 14, which exceeds $1000.
Google Pixel 6 Pro, the evolution of the Pixel 6a
It’s an upgraded version of the Pixel 6a and is in the line of being a mid-high range. The price of this cell phone is $500, and although it’s higher than the Google Pixel 6a, it’s still below the $1000 that other phones with eSIM usually cost.
The Google Pixel 7a stands out for being cheap and compatible with eSIM
It’s the evolution of the Google Pixel 7a. Its launch took place in May 2023, and it has stood out for its low price, around $499.
You may want to know how to install an eSIM on a Google Pixel.
iPhone SE 2022, Apple’s cheapest phone with eSIM
It was launched in 2022 and is the successor to the iPhone SE 2020, which became a more affordable option than high-end devices. The cost of the iPhone SE is slightly higher than the Google Pixel 6a we have mentioned, but it’s considered a mid-range phone. Priced from $429 and up to $579 depending on storage option, similar to the Google Pixel 7a.
Now, their prices are probably not a bargain, but if we compare them with other phones that have eSIM, the savings are significant. This will allow you to enjoy this new technology.
You may want to know how to install an eSIM on a iPhone.
Comparison of prices of cell phones with eSIM
Next, we will show you the prices of high-end phones with SIM so that you can compare them against the cheap cell phones with eSIM we have already mentioned.
For this table, we have chosen the cheapest option for each device. That is, some phones have 128 GB or 256 GB capacity or even more.
|Cell phone with eSIM
|Samsung Galaxy S23
|Samsung Galaxy S23+
|Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G
|iPhone 13 Mini
|iPhone 14 Pro
|iPhone 14 Pro Max
|Huawei P40 Pro
|Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
|Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
|Motorola Edge 40 Pro
|Google Pixel 7
|Google Pixel 7 pro
|Google Pixel Fold
What are the disadvantages of an eSIM?
Well, nothing is perfect. A digital SIM also has its disadvantages when compared to a physical SIM. Here we show them:
- You can only install it on a cell phone. For security purposes, the eSIM QR code works just once. If you need to activate it on another cell phone, you must request a new setup code.
- Being a digital product, hackers already have their eyes on this new technology. In China, for example, hackers installed an eSIM profile on an iPhone, although the operator didn’t offer this service.
- If the phone dies, so does the eSIM. In the case of physical SIM cards, for example, if your cell phone falls or stops working, you can remove the SIM and place it in another cell phone instantly. On the other hand, with the eSIM, you will need data and internet to contact your operator, report your case and download the eSIM. So, the solution may take time.
- You can’t extract the eSIM if you need to repair your cell phone. Unless you have contracted the MultiSIM service of your operator, you’re going to run out of minutes and data when you send your cell phone for repair in case of failures on its screen or if it doesn’t turn on.
What are the advantages of an eSIM?
Whether you buy a cheap or expensive cell phone with an eSIM, the eSIM works anyway and will allow you to enjoy some advantages over a physical SIM. Here we tell you about it:
- If you run out of data on your trip, you can buy an eSIM from the country where you are, and in a few minutes, you can activate it on your cell phone.
- You can install several eSIMs at the same time and switch between them. For example, you could have the eSIM of your local operator installed on your cell phone, and when you travel, you can install a new eSIM for your trip and thus avoid paying for roaming.
- To discard it, you only need to delete it. Just as you delete a file on your cell phone, you can remove the eSIM profile from the Settings option. This way, you avoid contaminating the environment with the plastic of traditional SIM cards.
- Your cell phone will become a dual SIM. Since this technology is new, most virtual SIM phones have a physical SIM slot and an eSIM chip. This way, two cards work simultaneously, an option called Dual SIM Dual Standby (DSDS).