If you have been preparing your travel destination, and the capital of Sri Lanka is your next stop, then don’t forget to bring an eSIM for Colombo with you. With this eSIM, you will be able to stay connected to the internet throughout your trip and share the best moments of your trip on social media.
While there are currently different alternatives to connect to the internet during your travels, the eSIM will provide you with the connectivity you need for one cheap, upfront price. So, we invite you to continue reading this article, where we will be explaining everything related to the eSIM, its prices, advantages, costs, and where to buy it.
eSIM for Colombo
Where can I buy an eSIM for Colombo?
Purchasing an eSIM will depend on several things. Foremost, you will have to verify that your cellphone is compatible with eSIMs to acquire one of these. Otherwise, the process of purchasing one of these connectivity services is simple, and you will have different options to get it:
- Buy your eSIM before you start your trip through online stores. For example, Holafly is an online store that offers eSIMs for travelers to more than 100 destinations. And with them, you can buy an eSIM for Colombo easily and quickly on their official website.
- Upon arrival in Colombo, you will find physical stores of Sri Lankan cellular operators, who tend to offer prepaid connectivity services for travelers. However, with this option, you will have to wait to buy your eSIM at a physical point of sale to be able to connect to the internet.
- Finally, if your cellphone is incompatible with eSIM cards, you can purchase an alternative such as a prepaid SIM card through online stores before you start your trip or physical stores upon arrival in Colombo.
What is an eSIM?
Understanding what an eSIM is, is simple. These are small devices that are embedded in many of the latest generations of cellphones. With this eSIM, travelers will be able to have a cellular data connection with which they can stay online while traveling and share their experience.
The eSIMs work because they can be activated by purchasing eSIM card plans for your travel destination. All you have to do is activate it through a QR code. See below for more details on activation.
Advantages of an eSIM for Colombo.
The eSIMs are a fairly new and innovative alternative to having an internet connection while traveling. And these come with many perks and advantages during your trip, which are the following:
- It is a pretty fairly simple alternative. The purchase flow, activation and use is something easy to do, without the need to go to a store to install the service.
- It allows your cellphone to become a dual SIM phone. This means that you can use your eSIM with your SIM card at the same time.
- You will enjoy instant delivery. Thanks to the fact it’s a digital service, after your purchase you will receive an email with the QR code with which you must activate it. So, you can complete the whole process in a matter of minutes.
- It is not necessary to change your phone number, so you can continue using WhatsApp with your usual number.
- You can choose unlimited data plans, which will allow you to have cellular data at all times.
- If you purchase your eSIM with Holafly, you will have 24-hour technical support. So if you experience any problems with your service, the Holafly team will help you at all times.
How do I activate my eSIM card for Colombo?
This is a small but efficient guide related to the activation of eSIM cards. You will see that the process is simple. However, if you experience any issues, you can always contact customer service.
Foremost, remember that you must purchase your eSIM card. So, you must go to Holafly’s official website, search for your travel destination, and choose from the different data plans available. Then you must complete your purchase and follow the next steps to activate your eSIM:
- At the end of the purchase of your eSIM, you will receive a QR code on your email, which you must scan on your phone for it to be installed.
- We recommend that once the eSIM is installed on your phone, you rename it, so you can easily differentiate it from your regular SIM card.
- You should activate the eSIM data roaming only when you arrive in Colombo. And then you will be able to connect to the internet.
As you can see, the process is basic. It is important to know that to install your eSIM on your phone you must be connected to the internet. So, we recommend you finish the installation before you start your trip.
How much does a Holafly eSIM card for Colombo cost?
Holafly has the following data plans available for their eSIM card for Colombo:
|Days of use||Data||Price (€ and USD)|
|5 days||Unlimited data||€19 / $19|
|10 days||Unlimited data||€34 / $34|
|15 days||Unlimited data||€47 / $47|
|20 days||Unlimited data||€57 / $54|
|30 days||Unlimited data||€69 / $64|
|60 days||Unlimited data||€87 / $84|
|90 days||Unlimited data||€99 / $99|
SIM card for Colombo
For those people who are currently unable to use this eSIM technology, either because their phone is not eSIM compatible, or for some other reason, don’t worry! A suitable alternative to stay connected to the internet in Colombo is with a prepaid SIM card. This is one of the oldest options among travelers.
This prepaid SIM card can also be purchased from online stores, such as Holafly. Or upon arrival in Colombo through physical stores. Plus you can also enjoy different advantages, which we will discuss below:
- This SIM includes a phone number, and you can use this number to receive voice calls.
- In Colombo, you will connect to local operators such as Hutchison or Mobitel, two of the main operators in Sri Lanka.
- This SIM card is effortless to use, but if you encounter any problems, Holafly offers you technical support 24 hours a day, during your entire trip!
- You will be able to receive your SIM card with the option of free delivery or express delivery.
- There are different payment methods available.
- You will not need to change your WhatsApp phone number.
How much does the physical SIM card cost?
If you want to buy a prepaid SIM card for Colombo with Holafly, you have two different plans available:
|Days of use||Data||Price (€ and USD)|
|30 days||8 GB||€34 / $36|
|30 days||12 GB||€44 / $46|
Advantages of the virtual SIM card vs. the physical SIM card for Colombo
Throughout this article, we have already discussed the eSIM card and prepaid SIM card as alternatives to keep you connected to the internet. However, it is important to mention that the eSIM card has more advantages, such as:
- Ease of purchase and activation: As we mentioned before, buying an eSIM card for your trip is as easy as buying it from the comfort of your home. And the process to install and activate it will only take a few minutes.
- No need to wait for delivery: Since eSIM cards are virtual, you can activate them through QR codes, which will arrive in your email minutes after completing your purchase.
- You will be able to enjoy unlimited data: This is a great advantage if you will be traveling for several days and do not want to be disconnected from the internet at any moment.
- Eco-friendly: The eSIM, by not using physical material for its manufacture, will not pollute the environment, making it a very sustainable proposal.
Dialog eSIM card for Colombo.
Once you arrive in Colombo, you will be able to find different physical cellular operator stores with whom you can purchase some internet connectivity services. Among these, you will find Dialog, which is the largest cellular operator in Sri Lanka. The features of their services are as follows:
- They manage one of the best 4G/LTE coverage in Sri Lanka.
- Toppable cards are available.
- You can get one of their services at Colombo-Bandaranaike International Airport.
- You can also top up and check your balance on the MyDialog app for Android and iOS.
SLT Mobitel eSIM card for Colombo.
Mobitel is a local operator in Sri Lanka and is also characterized as one of the best in the country. They also offer prepaid services to tourists, which have the following features:
- When you make your purchase in a Mobitel store, you will have to go through some other processes, such as taking a photo and showing your passport.
- They have excellent coverage in the country and stand out for being the fastest cellular operator in Sri Lanka.
- Top-ups such as cards or electronic reloable are available.
- You will be able to choose between different package plans for tourists.
Which is the best eSIM for Colombo?
Determining which is the best service to stay connected to the internet during your trip is simple. Since we could see that the eSIM has many advantages. And the best service you can buy for your trip is undoubtedly the eSIM for Colombo from Holafly.
This online store offers you all the available benefits that you can enjoy with an eSIM card. In addition, they tend to stand out a lot for the kind of customer service they provide, are very attentive, and are always available to provide support.
Frequent questions about the best eSIM for Colombo
Before you leave, configure your eSIM. Just activate the data plan and enable data roaming once you arrive at your location. It is advised that you print the QR code and bring it with you on vacation in case something happens.
Once you purchase an eSIM, you will receive it immediately to your email address. You then just need to scan the QR code to activate the SIM.
The Sri Lanka eSIM which will allow you to have an internet connection in Colombo uses Mobitel and Dialog, two of the best eSIM providers in Sri Lanka
The Sri Lanka eSIM only allows you to use cellular data. It does not include a local phone number for voice calls or messages. You can still make calls using apps like WhatsApp.
Recommendations to choose the best eSIM for Colombo.
We have reached the end of this article, and we hope that all the information provided will be of great help to you. Also, we want you to enjoy your trip to the fullest, that’s why we will leave you with some recommendations regarding the eSIM:
- If the eSIM is incompatible with your phone, keep in mind that prepaid SIM cards are another viable alternative for staying connected to the internet.
- Before purchasing any phone service, verify with which local operator you will be connected, as not all of them have the same coverage in the country.
- Make sure your cellphone has unlocked bands, so it can connect to other telephone networks.
- Remember to verify the entry criteria before arriving in Colombo, so you won’t have any problems.