If you’re planning on touring through Europe this year, you’re probably thinking about how you can connect to the internet on your travels. Well, with a data SIM card for Europe it’s never been easier – say goodbye to expensive roaming charges and connect to superfast Mobile internet in Europe at a cheap price.
In this article, we’ll explain everything you need to know before you buy your Europe data SIM card and we’ll compare the best products.
Where to buy a data SIM card for Europe?
There is one big decision to make when buying a SIM for your travel to Europe. Your options are:
- Buy before you go from an online shop.
- Buy once you land in Europe in an Orange, Vodafone, Movistar, SFR, or Three store.
Of these two choices, you can buy before you leave for Europe, using an online store like Holafly. These are the main advantages of buying online:
Advantages of buying from an online shop
- Internet the moment you land – you can activate your International SIM card the moment you land, perfect if you need to book a cab or message a friend or family member
- Multi-country options – companies like Holafly offer SIM cards that cover multiple countries. You might find it hard to find this option from local shops in Europe meaning you have to buy a new SIM card in each country you enter
- Don’t get ripped off – you might find a better deal from an online store, as shops in airports know they can over-charge tourists
- Save time – rather than having to search local shops in your destinations, buying before you go allows you to start exploring the local area straight away
- No communication problems – how’s your Norwegian? Kudos to you if you’ve been racking up the point on Duolingo, but unless you’re fluent in the local language it might be hard to buy a SIM card from a local shop in Europe.
That’s why we recommend buying before you go: it gives you the peace of mind to start enjoying your trip. But what advantages are there of waiting to buy your data SIM card in Europe?
Advantages of buying your data SIM card in Europe
Although it is not our recommended option, buying a SIM card does offer one key advantage:
- More options – given the number of brands and deals available, you’re sure to find the best SIM card for your travels. We recommend buying from a brand like Orange, Vodafone or Movistar, which offer strong coverage in many European countries
Holafly online shop
We recommend buying your SIM card before you travel from the online store Holafly. Why? Well, let’s take a look at why Holafly is the best option and look at the different deals it offers.
Advantages of a Holafly SIM card for Europe
- Coverage in multiple European countries – covering more than 48 destinations, you can use your Holafly data SIM card for Europe no matter where you are in the continent, from Ireland and Iceland and Slovakia to Slovenia
- Unlimited data – you can buy Unlimited data for a month or more.
- Free, fast delivery – delivery is free and within three working days. Your delivery will contain clear and comprehensive instructions to set up your SIM
- 24-hour customer support, wherever you are – Holafly’s support team can be reached from their online site 24/7, 365 days a year
How much does a SIM card for traveling to Europe cost?
Let’s compare the different deals that offer a Europe data SIM card and find the best deal for you.
|Amount of data||Days of use||Price (USD)|
Deals offered by Holafly:
Buy your Europe data SIM card
Connection throughout the continent
Virtual SIM Card for Europe
Now we’ve learned about data SIM cards, it’s time to meet the newest way to access the internet. Virtual SIM cards or eSIM (short for embedded SIM) are new, virtual SIM cards that provide internet at a competitive price. But is a European virtual SIM card better than a traditional SIM card? The main advantage is that you can get a virtual SIM card anywhere in the world and it’s delivered to you via email immediately. Let’s take a look at their advantages and disadvantages in the next section:
Advantages and disadvantages of virtual SIM cards
- Quick purchase and activation processes
Purchasing and activating a virtual SIM card is easy. You just make your purchase from a store like Holafly and wait a few seconds for a QR code to arrive on your email. With this, you can activate your virtual SIM card and be connected. There’s no physical SIM to insert or complicated instructions to follow.
- Get a virtual SIM card anywhere in the world
Are you already in Europe and need internet? No matter where you are, you can always buy a virtual SIM card and it will arrive directly on your cell phone. There is no delivery cost and you don’t have to wait more than a few minutes.
- Affordable rates
Compared to paying for data roaming in Europe, virtual SIM cards are incredibly cheap. You pay one upfront fee for the virtual SIM card, so you don’t have to worry about surprise bills.
- Limited compatibility with cell phones
The main disadvantage of virtual SIM cards for Europe is their limited compatibility. As a new form of technology, many older cell phones do not offer it, so before you go, check your phone is compatible.
How much does a Virtual SIM card for Europe cost?
If you own a compatible cell phone, check out what deals you can get:
|Amount of data||Number of days||Price (USD)|
Buy your Europe virtual SIM card with Unlimited data
Connection throughout the continent
FAQs about SIM cards for Europe
You can activate data roaming and use data provided by your current provider. But be aware that this will be very expensive. If you plan on using this option, you can expect a hefty phone bill when you get back home. Alternatively, you could buy Pocket Wi-Fi (a portable device that generates a WiFi connection for your phone). This option is also expensive and you’ll have to carry the device everywhere. A data SIM card for Europe is the cheapest and most convenient way of connecting to the internet.
Roaming services in Europe vary between cellular providers as each operator has a different rate. But on average, the value per MB is usually between $7 and $15. Watching a movie on Netflix at that rate could cost hundreds. That’s why we recommend buying a SIM card to avoid roaming costs.
If you buy your SIM card from Holafly, you can contact their customer support team 24/7. All SIM cards come with set-up instructions.
We recommend Holafly for its quality of service, cheap price, and generous data deals.
The following phones are compatible with the virtual SIM: iPhone SE, XR, XS, XS Max, iPhone 11, 11 Pro y 11 Pro Max, 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, 12 Mini, Samsung S20, Galaxy Z Flip, Note 20 Ultra, Fold LTE, Huawei P40, P40 Pro, y Google Pixel 3, 3a,4, 4a, Motorola Razr 2019.