Cities like Bogotá, Medellín, Cartagena, Cali, and Barranquilla, have become tourism hotspots and remote work for foreign visitors. So, if you are planning to stay there for a long time, we recommend you get your Digital Nomad Visa for Colombia.
In this article, we are going to tell you all about this, how to get it, how to apply for it, some tips, and more. Keep reading if you are keen to learn more.
eSIM for Colombia
>>Buy an eSIM for Colombia<< Get 5% OFF. Code: BNOMAD
What is the Digital Nomad Visa, and what are its benefits?
According to the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Colombia, the new visa was created to let foreign visitors live and work remotely in the country; for a maximum period of 2 years, and meeting some requirements that we are going to mention later in this article.
How does the Digital Nomad Visa in Colombia work?
The Digital Nomad Visa is contemplated in the 46 Article of the 5477 Resolution of 2022, and it says that it was created to let foreign visitors work exclusively for foreign companies, and in no case, said activities may generate salary payments in Colombia.
Requisites to acquire the Digital Nomad Visa in Colombia
- Be the holder of a passport or travel document, validated by the Colombian government, valid for (6) months at the time of application. With free sheets to stamp new visa labels.
- If you are in Colombia, the most recent stamp of your entry into the country must be in your passport; or have an equivalent entry authorization.
- Fill out the online form by completing the required fields.
- If you are abroad, you can also apply online. Go to a consular office in your home country, or where you have a temporary or permanent residence permit.
- If you meet the requirements, you must gather the following documents:
- Attach a 3×4 cm photo, in color, white background, recent, from the front, without accessories, a clear face, in JPG format of a maximum of 300 KB
- Proof of Employment letter (valid in Spanish or English) issued by the foreign companies for which you provide your services, indicating the type of salary you receive.
- Attach a work contract (if you have one).
- Demonstrate that you are a partner or shareholder of a company through a letter specifying that your tasks and job description can be done remotely.
- For new entrepreneurs, a motivational letter explaining the project, and the financial and human resources they have or aspire to have to carry out.
- Bank statements to demonstrate minimum income equivalent to three Current Minimum Legal Monthly Wages (SMLMV) during the last three months.
- Health policy with coverage in Colombia, against all occupational and health risks, during the time of stay in the national territory.
This information was consulted on the official website of the Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 2023.
Aspects to take into account when you are going to ask for the Visa
- Individual documents in black and white, legible, and in PDF format. The maximum weight allowed for all attachments is 5 MB.
- Since visas are not transferable to another nationality, if you have several nationalities, you must inform authorities when entering the country.
- Foreigners who are not exempt from short-stay visits must apply online.
- The process is 100% online, but the competent immigration authority may consider that you must present yourself with the physical documentation at the indicated office.
- In this link, you can find the requirements to apply for a visa for a child or person with a disability.
- Each document must be apostilled or legalized with a competent authority that certifies it and translated into Spanish when it is in a different language.
- Certifications or bank statements must not have an apostille or translation as long as their content is recorded in one of the official languages of the OEA (Organization of American States).
- The immigration authorities will be able to consult their judicial records online through the National Police database or any other that they have access to in their country of origin or residence.
If any requirement is missing, the immigration authority can request the requirement from the applicant, and the latter will have up to 10 calendar days to present it.
Price of the Digital Nomad Visa for Colombia
|Type||Colombia and the rest of the world (USD)||Europe and Cuba (EUR)|
Advantages of the Digital Nomad Visa in Colombia
- Permission to work remotely in Colombia for two years.
- Possibility of starting a digital or ICT venture of interest to the country.
- The visa lets you include a request for relatives of the holder.
Disadvantages of the Digital Nomad Visa in Colombia
- Paid work with companies or persons domiciled in Colombia is not allowed.
Visa application study time
Once the application steps for the digital nomad visa in Colombia are completed, the immigration authorities will have 30 calendar days to issue their decision within the established business hours.
This term can be extended, and if the foreigner is in Colombia, he must be covered by another visa or residence permit. You can check the status of the application on the web portal of the user-friendly system of consular procedures.
Visa response and delivery time
The office will send an official statement to the email registered in the application, and it will be delivered within the next 10 days If your visa is approved.
If it is denied, the foreigner must leave the country within 30 calendar days and will not be able to register in the following six months after the rejection.
What are the work tools for Digital Nomads?
Countries that currently have visas for Digital Nomads have two important conditions to grant the remote work permit and temporary stays to foreign citizens in their country:
- Check that people are remote workers.
- Ensure they have the necessary tools and technology to carry out their remote work regularly.
Needed tools for Digital Nomads
Internet connection: In Colombia, you will find internet and cellphone technology so that you can connect in much of the national territory. Nonetheless, you will have to find a solution that lets you remain connected to the internet on your cellphone all the time.
Technology resources: Make sure you bring a reliable laptop, an external hard drive to increase storage capacity, a power bank because you can’t run out of battery, a power adapter, and headphones so you can attend your meetings.
Tools to manage projects: Trello, Shortcut, Miro, Notion, and ClickUp are examples of some apps that will let you organize your daily activities and manage the fulfillment of the proposed objectives with your clients or employers.
Which is the best way to have the internet in Colombia?
Digital Nomads usually use prepaid SIM cards, pocket Wi-Fi or expensive roaming services. Still, the benefits and prices can vary depending on the provider they choose, including the terms and conditions of their services.
But there is no doubt that to be a Digital Nomad, you have to be well-informed, and that is the reason why many people and Digital Nomads recommend the eSIM card with cellular data to take the internet wherever you go without wasting time signing up or subscribing to services to get a data plan.
We invite you to read the Holafly official website.
Frequent questions about the Digital Nomad Visa in Colombia
It is the new visa that the Colombian government created to let foreign citizens live in the country and work remotely with foreign companies or clients for two years.
Foreigners who work remotely with companies or clients domiciled in other countries.
Yes. In Colombia, entrepreneurs who want to start a digital or ICT project of interest to the country can apply too.
On the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you will find all the information you need to look it up. It includes step-by-step videos for the visa process in Colombia.